Saturday, September 17, 2016

Snarky Impassibility

and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” (Matt 3:17, ESV)

and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, toward whom I am disposed in exactly the same immutable way as aways, which the Holy Spirit will naturally inspire Matthew to render as `well-pleased', because that is the very best anthropomorphism We can come up with given that we don't actually experience emotions.” (Matt 3:17, Annotated Impassibilicist's Bible)


It is a good thing to learn early that God and suffering are not opposites but rather one and the same thing and necessarily so; for me, the idea that God himself suffers is far and away the most convincing piece of Christian doctrine. 

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison

No comments:

Post a Comment